Monday, July 11, 2011

Heard from the doc...

Paris is hypoglycemic and needs to eat every hour or so... If not, she'll relapse quickly into the state I found her in on Saturday morning... And must be forced to eat every 1-2 hours around the clock as well... It is going to be a LONG couple of weeks (?)... Prognosis?  Depending on who you talk to, some say she can grow out of this - others say she'll be dealing with this the rest of her life...

These are the times I question what I do as a passion... At what point does the quality of life suffer to the point it becomes the rescuer's unwillingness to let a dog or puppy go?... Or humanely euthanize them?... Is it fair to them or others dying in the shelter for me to put so much energy and effort into this one dog when hundreds are dying every day???... These are points the 'committee in my head' struggle with numerous times as I travel on the journey of rescue... 

It is not the money (although large vet bills can play a factor), nor the time nor the energy... It is all of this (or some of this) that can be used to save other dogs and puppies, because so many come into the shelters, we will never EVER be able to become a no kill nation unless 70% of the general population are going into shelters and adopting animals that have been thrown away... And I don't see that happening any time soon - not at least in my lifetime... 

Sigh... So now what do I do with tiny Paris?... Do we continue to wage this war against death, an unusual small size (and all of the health issues that brings to the table) and hope for the best???

 

No comments:

Post a Comment